As members of Speak Out!, Winnifred Stewart Association's self-advocacy group, we speak up for our rights and responsibilities and advocate for others with disabilities who strive to be part of their communities. In our quest for self-determination, we work hard to get involved, learn skills, such as public speaking and leadership, plan and participate in events, and share experiences to stay connected.
According to the Speak Out! members, Self-Advocacy is:
- Getting involved in matters that are important to you
- Being proud of who you are and what you do
- Sharing your experience with others
- Opening people's minds to what self-advocacy means
- Being a leader who works to change the way things are
- Understanding and getting involved in political issues that affect you
- Working hard to make a difference in your community
- Speaking out for other people who have disabilities
Contact us at 780-453-6707 to learn more or to get involved, or visit our Facebook page.